The Bright Golf Club was formed in 1909 by a group of astute businessmen. The earliest records are from the annual meeting held at the Alpine Hotel on April 25, 1910. Mr. MGG Fox was elected President; Vice President was Dr. LJ Kidd; and Secretary, Mr. J Robertson. These were the same office-bearers when the club was formed. Membership fees were, Gentlemen 10/6; Ladies 5/-. In the minutes a motion of thanks was passed to property owners on whose land in Quinn's Gap Road (now known as Mt Porepunkah Road) the course was situated.
On the clubs 50th anniversary in 1960 it is interesting to note Dr. LJ Kidd the original Vice President, resided in Melbourne and still conducted his practice in Collins Street. The well known name around Bright of Masciorini first appears in the minutes in 1911. Mr. AFA Masciorini was Secretary of the club from 1918 to 1933. He was Club Champion in 1911 and on many occasions afterwards.
The club continue to play on private properties until July 12, 1937 when 35 acres of land were purchased, the remainder of the course was still being used by courtesy of the Sharps and Mannings families, who had been members since the formation of the club. In September 1950, a further 50 acres were purchased from the Mannings and the club now had 14 holes on its own property with the remaining 4 on private land. In 1956 the number of holes were reduced to 14 when the private land was used for building.
The course of 14 holes had many running up the side of steep hills. Some members said it was so steep they had one leg longer than the other!! During the winter as the sun did not shine on some greens they remained covered with frost all day. In 1960, as in most country clubs with small membership, volunteers through working bees, carried out most of the work on the course. The fairways were kept mowed throughout the year, sand greens being used as the course was very hilly and finances did not permit the up keep of grass greens.
The original clubrooms consisted merely of large sheds moved to various situations as time went on. It was not until 1953 that a house owned by the club, was converted to a clubhouse that had all amenities and was a great asset to the social life and comfort of the members.
By 1960, the membership fees had risen to Members £4/4/- and Associates £2/12/-. On April 16, 1960 the club celebrated its 50th anniversary with a 12 hole Stableford competition which was won by F Cummins for Latrobe 25 points, closely followed by M Thompson (brother of famous Peter), with 23 points.
In the evening, a social was held, attended by a very large crowd that taxed the capacity of the clubhouse and proved an enjoyable function.
As the years moved on and the age of the members also advanced, the geographic terrain of the course became more difficult for the average member. In 1983, after a devastating fire destroyed a pine plantation on the Back Porepunkah Road the President of the day, Ron Cherry, was prompted to begin what became a long process, to acquire sufficient generally flat land on which a new 18 hole course could be built.